Who needs cherry, chocolate, and chili biscotti — my feature Christmas cookie from 2011? Or this year’s vanilla cookies sandwiches with a maple-espresso frosting? These peanut butter blossoms are still my favorite, being the only venue in which Hershey’s kisses are worth the hype. And the only cookie that my siblings used to routinely make on Christmas Eve. And the only cookie that my dad would scamper into the kitchen to help make — at least for the Hershey’s kisses part.
TIP: Bake the cookies for a few minutes extra after setting the kisses for extra-creamy chocolate.
– 48 HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolate
– 1/2 cup shortening
– 3/4 cup REESE’S Creamy Peanut Butter
– 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 2 tablespoons milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– Additional granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each
cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
About 4 dozen cookies.
Reprinted from https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/.